LOCATION: New York City, New York, USA
OLD USE: Factory
NEW USE: Retail, office
Opening in 1913, the 11-story full-block structure from 10th to 11th Avenue and 15th to 16th Street in the Chelsea district of New York City became the most prominent part of the National Biscuit Company Complex. Designed by Albert G. Zimmerman, the complex was built on landfill. By 1958, Nabisco (National Biscuit) was had moved its operations to New Jersey. The buildings were sold in 1959 and had spotty use for the next few decades.
Irwin B. Cohen organized a syndicate to purchase the complex. The purchase was successfully done in the 1990s and the conversion began.
The adaptive reuse of the complex began by converting the upper floors for office tenants. The building has become a hub for technology companies. The ground floor was reconfigured and a long interior arcade was created as home for food stores. “To walk through the Chelsea Market is to stroll through a sort of postindustrial theme park, carefully festooned with the detritus of a lost industrial culture, interspersed with food stores and restaurants.” The rebirth of the Nabisco building ushered in a new beginning for the Chelsea neighborhood as new ventures and residences have made their own home in surrounding old factories.